Email is a widely used tool for business communications
Email is a widely used tool for business communications. The average office worker receives around 80 emails each day. This can cause tension, confusion, or other negative consequences for working professionals. In fact, a survey done by Sendmail Inc in 2013 found that 64% of working professionals suffer from such negative impact from emails. So, how can you avoid your emails causing such a negative impact? And how can you write emails that get the results you want?
This course looks at strategies you can use to ensure that your use of email is clear, effective, and successful.
• Give examples of the most common types of emails and how to write them.
• Identify their existing good and bad email habits.
• Adapt their usual writing style to the medium of email.
• Adjust their tone and formality for your reader and purpose.
• Write emails that get to the point – without the pointless waffle.
• Brush-up on their grammar and punctuation.
• Stop and plan their emails – putting the main message up front.
• Use attachments effectively.
• Take control of their inbox
• Use correct greetings and sign-offs
• Comply with their in-house policies (eg about confidential information)
I. Understanding the basic structure of an email
• A compliment or pleasantry.
• The reason for your email.
• A call to action.
• A closing message.
II. Understanding the importance of tone, clarity and organization of information of an email
• Don't over-communicate by email.
• Make good use of subject lines.
• Keep messages clear and brief.
• Be Polite.
• Check your tone.
III. Email Do’s and Don’ts - When You're the Sender
• Make sure that email is the right communication tool for the job.
• Get to the point right away.
• When asking a question, be sure to ask the question.
• Be clear about when you need a response.
• Provide context to frame your message.
• Don't forget the rules of grammar and punctuation.
• One message, one topic.
• Provide a summary when you forward an "FYI" email.
IV. Email Do’s and Don’ts - When You're the Recipient
• Don't make any assumptions about the sender's emotional state.
• Don't escalate a conflict by sending an emotionally charged response.
• Ask for clarification.
• Use your email software's built-in tools to help organize messages.
• Remember: You don't have to respond to every message right away.
Who should attend
• Executives, Managers
• Administrative Personnel
• Anyone who need to correspond through emails for work purposes
Noor Wahab has more than 15 years of working experience specializing in training areas such as Communication & Presentation Skills, Cross-Cultural Communications, Cultural Diversity and other corporate training programmes.
Her long list of accomplishments includes designing and delivering a mentor workshop for the SPT (Singapore Parallel Train) project for ExxonMobil, conducting a creativity & innovation workshop for the Singapore government, AVA (Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore), and designing and delivering a coaching and mentoring program for KBC Advanced Technology.
Noor holds a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Psychology (USA) and a Bachelor of Mass Communications (USA). She is also a fully qualified and accredited administrator of the Myers Briggs Type Indicator.
• 7 November 2019 (6th Run)
• S$ 450 per participant
• S$ 400 per participant for 2 participants from the same organisation
• S$ 350 per participant for 3 or more participants from the same organisation
Duration / Venue
• 9 am - 5 pm
• Hotel seminar room
• Skills Connect WDA Reference CRS-N-0000990.
• Skills Future Credit for Self-Sponsored Singaporeans aged 25 and above.
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the workshop.
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
Please use this form to register for our HRM SKILLS Workshops.
* Please note that the participant’s particulars will be shared with SSG (SkillsFuture Singapore) for the post-training TRAQOM (Training Quality and Outcome Measurement) survey.
STILL NOT SURE? CALL US
(65) 6337-7516 or 6338-8487, 9 am to 5 pm, Mondays to Fridays
You can register online for any of HRM SKILLS Workshops using the Registration Form or send an email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
The information we require for email registration is as follows:
- Course Title & Date
- Participant's Full Name, NRIC/FIN, Email Address, Mobile Number
- Organisation, Company Name or Self-Sponsored
- Contact Person (If different from Participant)
- Contact Number
Past Participants' Comments
Past Participant Organisations
• 888 Group Holding, Advantek Products (S) Pte Ltd, Air Energi Group Singapore Pte Ltd, APS Lifestyle Marketing Pte Ltd, Asian Womens Welfare Association, Aegis Building & Engineering Pte Ltd
• Biomedical Sciences Institutes, Brunel International Southeast Asia, Building and Construction Authority
• Cambridge Industrial Trust Management Limited, Central Provident Fund Board, Comat Training Services, Confucius Institute, NTU, Credit Counselling Singapore, DSTA, CapitaLand Limited, Cargolux Airlines International S.A, Cheng Xin Ship Management Pte Ltd, Clifford Chance Pte Ltd, Changi Airport Group(S) Pte Ltd
• Darul Ghufran Mosque
• Eric Management Services Pte Ltd
• Faxolif Industries Pte Ltd
• General Physics Asia Pte Ltd, Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel
• Herbalife International Singapore, Hydro Aluminium Asia Pte Ltd
• Institute of Materials Research and Engineering (IMRE), INFICON Pte Ltd, Institute for Infocomm Research, Institute of Mental Health, Italmec Industries
• JJ-Lapp Cable, Kitagawa Electronics (S), Kumon Asia & Oceania, Leica Geosystems Technologies
• Louis Vuitton Singapore Pte Ltd
• MCYS, MINDEF, Ministry of Law, Ministry of Transport, Ministry of Trade and Industry Singapore, (MTI), Masjid Al-Islah, Morgan Ceramics Asia Pte Ltd, MCL Logistics Asia Pte Ltd
• National Council of Social Service, National Environment Agency, Nestle R&D Center, Ngai Chin Construction, NSK International (S), NTUC LearningHub, NMG Financial Services Consulting Pte Ltd
• OEMServices Asia Pte Ltd
• Parliament of Singapore, Phillip Securities Pte Ltd
• Qualcomm CDMA Technology
• Research Instruments Pte Ltd
• Sembcorp Design and Construction Pte Ltd, Singapore Centre for Chinese Language, Singapore Children's Society, Singapore Component, Singapore Customs, MOF, Singapore Hobby Supplies, Singapore Prison Service, Sodexo Singapore, ST Logistics, Sud-Chemie South East Asia, Swissotel Merchant Court, Singapore
• Tai Chong Cheang Steamship Co (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Telefoca Asia, Tenet Insurance Company, Toyochem Ink, Trinity Christian Centre, Texel Asia Pte Limited, TWR Asia • U Distribution Pte Ltd
• U Distribution Pte Ltd
• Watkins Syndicate Singapore, Watson Wyatt