The construction industry has progressed to become the focal attention in national development. Roads, buildings and other facilities are being planned and built in various parts of Singapore. Project personnel who manage such projects are responsible to ensure cost and quality control, progress monitoring and overall site management. Managing construction risk is an important feature to consider.
This one day workshop will focus on a few essential skills relating to project site risk management and how the Construction insurance is applied. Participants will learn how effective risk management and the insurance policy are used to better manage a project.
• To appreciate the relationship between risk management and good site managing skills.
• To appreciate the importance of knowing the C.A.R policy and how it is arranged.
• To understand the essential skills necessary to deal with an incident / claim on site.
• To apply the various the policy terms, clauses and endorsement in a claim scenario.
• To learn tools for the essential skills in negotiating a good claim settlement.
Who should attend
Project Engineers, Site Engineers, Project Managers, Quantity Surveyors, Project Directors, Estimators, Schedulers, Consultants and Architects.
(Developers, Builders, Land owners, Contractors, Subcontractors, Building material Suppliers)
• Case studies
I. Risk Management Techniques
II. What is Insurance?
• The need for insurance and contractual requirements
• Available policies – Construction All Risk (C.A.R), Erection All Risk (E.A.R), Professional Indemnity( P.I), Construction Plant Machinery (C.P.M.) Insurances.
• What is covered?
• Who are the insured parties?
• Who are third parties?
III. The C.A.R Policy and Its Details
• Policy Coverage
• Structure of Policy
• Policy Schedule
• Period of Cover
• Sum Insured
IV. Specific Policy Wordings
• Basis of Loss Settlement
• General Exclusions, Special Exclusions and General Conditions
• Common Extensions/ clauses
• Design coverage
V. Procedures In Dealing With Claims
• General Claims Conditions
• Basis of Loss Settlement
• Claims Notification
• Loss Adjusters’ Duties
• Claims Disputes
VI. Case Studies and Worked Examples
Benefits of Attending This Course
• Learn various risk management techniques for projects
• Understand how the C.A.R policy is arranged and operates
• Appreciate claims handling and procedure.
• Learn how to submit and obtain best claim payments in line with policy cover.
What Questions this training programme provides answers to:
• How to understand risk management
• How to deal with complex engineering insurance claim
• What to do in the event of a incident / claim on site
• Who are the parties involved in a claim situation
Ir Pooba Mahalingam is a professional engineer with over 20 years of experience in construction, insurance and loss adjusting. He is specialized in construction, engineering, liability and property insurance aspects.
He used to manage technical and complex reinsurance claims for an Insurance company in Singapore. He was previously attached to a claims management company in Singapore and led its Construction, Power and Engineering (CPE) team for the organisation. This was a regional assignment and was based in Christchurch, New Zealand as a member of the CAT loss team handling the 2011 earthquake claims.
Prior to that, Pooba was attached to an international loss adjusting firm in Kuala Lumpur where he was responsible for mega projects risk management and claims handling. This included the following large construction risks -KLIA, KLCC, KL Tower, LRT 1 & 11, MRR2, Sprint Highway, LDP and Smart Tunnel. He gained further regional engineering exposure where he handled cases in Brunei, Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam and Hong Kong.
In his earlier part of his career, he worked with a contractor and also a consulting engineering firm on building and infrastructure projects. This experience coupled with his subsequent risk / insurance experience will be relevant to this course.
Pooba is currently the President of the Insurance Law Association, Singapore (ILAS) and active insurance facilitator (trainer) with IEM, ACEM, AICLA, SCI and MII. He is also a Certified ACTA Trainer.
Pooba will use active learning concepts to share his knowledge with participants.
• Date to be advised - 1st Run
• S$ 450 per participant
• S$ 400 per participant for 2 participants from the same organisation
• S$ 350 per participant for 3 or more participants from the same organisation
• 9 am - 5 pm
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the workshop.
Please use this form to register for our HRM SKILLS Workshops.
STILL NOT SURE? CALL US
(65) 6337-7516 or 6338-8487, 9 am to 5 pm, Mondays to Fridays
You can register online for any of HRM SKILLS Workshops using the Registration Form or send an email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
The information we require for email registration is as follows:
- Course Title & Date
- Participant's Full Name
- Organisation, Company Name or Self-Sponsored
- Contact Person (If different from Participant)
- Contact Number