Writing accurate minutes of meetings is essential yet challenging.
Many of us have been tasked to take minutes of meetings although we may not be a secretary or personal assistant. Any person who attends a meeting will be asked to take up this important task.
Accurate minutes of meetings are an essential for any successful organisation. If you are the one who has to record the minutes of a meeting, you are probably well aware of how challenging this process can be.
During the meeting, you need to listen actively for important points to record. You must know the difference between the relevant and the irrelevant, plus differentiate between the nice-to-know and the need-to-know. This is particularly challenging when a discussion is lively and issues are highly contentious.
After the meeting, when you begin compiling your notes, you must first consider the type of minutes you are writing. Are they narrative or action minutes? What are the special considerations for each type? How do you avoid the common mistakes and pitfalls when you write them? On top of it all, you need to be sure that your language is clear and concise, and accurately portrays the issues discussed. This workshop is useful to anyone who needs to prepare meeting documents, record notes, and present minutes professionally.
• Appreciate the importance of a clear and structured agenda in taking the minutes in a meeting.
• Anticipate and manage typical challenges when setting up an agenda.
• Obtain background information so as to take better notes.
• Listen effectively to distinguish between relevant and irrelevant information.
• Understand how various sections of minutes can be labelled.
• Use language correctly to convey your meaning accurately and clearly.
• Learn how to use the reported speech correctly, as required in writing minutes.
• Write concise sentences and paragraphs so that minutes are easier to read.
I. Preparing the Agenda
• The importance of a Notice and Agenda to the smooth running of a meeting.
• How agenda items can help you take better notes.
• Overcoming common problems in setting up a clear and accurate agenda.
II. Taking Notes Effectively
• Preparing yourself for efficient note-taking.
• Working with the chairperson before and during meetings.
• Clarifying and confirming points professionally and confidently.
• How to actively listen for main points and actions.
• Differentiating between relevant and irrelevant details
• Distinguishing between the need-to-know and nice-to-know, and knowing what to record
III. Preparing Accurate Minutes
• Types of meetings, and different types of minutes you may need to prepare
• Accepted ways of labeling different sections of minutes
• The ideal time frame for compiling and distributing your minutes
• Using attachments appropriately and effectively
IV. The Right Way to Write Minutes
• Using language effectively to make your minutes clear and accurate
• Being specific and focused when presenting your points
• Making your minutes reader-friendly by using sentences and paragraphs effectively
• Portraying discussions accurately by using correct tenses
Who should attend
• Secretaries, Personal Assistants
• Office Managers, Administrative Support Professionals
• Executives, and Managers
Noor Wahab has more than 15 years of working experience specializing in training areas such as Communication & Presentation Skills, Cross-Cultural Communications, Cultural Diversity and other corporate training programmes.
Her long list of accomplishments include designing and delivering a mentor workshop for the SPT (Singapore Parallel Train) project for ExxonMobil, conducting a creativity & innovation workshop for the Singapore government, AVA (Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore), and designing and delivering a coaching and mentoring program for KBC Advanced Technology.
Noor holds a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Psychology (USA) and a Bachelor of Mass Communications (USA). She is also a fully qualified and accredited administrator of the Myers Briggs Type Indicator.
• 30 April 2019 (8th Run)
Duration / Venue
• 9 am - 5 pm
• Hotel Grand Pacific Singapore
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the workshop.
• S$ 450 per participant
• S$ 400 per participant for 2 participants from the same organisation
• S$ 350 per participant for 3 or more participants from the same organisation
• Skills Connect WDA Reference CRS-N-0000879.
• Skills Future Credit for Self-Sponsored Singaporeans aged 25 and above.
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
Please use this form to register for our HRM SKILLS Workshops.
STILL NOT SURE? CALL US
(65) 6337-7516 or 6338-8487, 9 am to 5 pm, Mondays to Fridays
You can register online for any of HRM SKILLS Workshops using the Registration Form or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The information we require for email registration is as follows:
- Course Title & Date
- Participant's Full Name
- Organisation, Company Name or Self-Sponsored
- Contact Person (If different from Participant)
- Contact Number
Past Participants' Comments
• "Ms Noor is a very good trainer. Information and knowledge shared are very useful!"
• "Trainer is knowledgeable and engaging"
• "Thank you! This workshop really benefits me." - Ummu Barakah, Darul Makmur Mosque
• "Trainer Ms Noor is an asset in your company! Will join her in other courses." - Ivy Wee Poh Yan, Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
• "I think it’s very useful in applying this knowledge in my job in future aspect because it taught me to gain confidence because I wish to have more skills development and upgrading myself."
• "Splendid!" – Nancy Lim , UWCSEA
• "Trainer was able to give many good real life examples and videos to stimulate thinking. Very entertaining and able to absorb info."
Past Participant Organisations
• Aviva Singapore, ABN AMRO Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority, Alexandra Hospital, Allianz SE Reinsurance Branch Asia Pacific, Andrew Brown International Pte. Ltd, AWWA Baxter Healthcare SA, Singapore Branch, Angsana Home@ Pelangi Village, A*STAR, Aegis Building & Engineering Pte Ltd, Anglican Cluster Support (Jurong East), Association of Muslim Professionals, ATR Eastern Support Pte Ltd
• Becton Dickinson & Company, Bible League Asia, Biomedical Sciences Institutes Business Centre, Broadway F&B Management Pte Ltd, Brocade Communications Singapore Pte Ltd, Building and Construction Authority
• Calm Oceans Pte Ltd, Central Narcotics Bureau, Changi Women's Prison, Citibank Singapore, Civil Service College, COSL Drilling Pan-Pacific Ltd, Courts Singapore, Club Rainbow, Centre for Fathering Ltd, Care Corner Singapore Ltd, CST Tax Advisors Pte Ltd
• Deutsche Telekom Asia Pte Ltd, Dorma Far East Pte Ltd, DrewCorp Services Pte Ltd, DTZ Debenham Tie Leung Property Management Services Pte Ltd
• Energy Market Authority, Eng Leong Medallic Industries Pte Ltd, EM Learning Pte Ltd, Edmund Tie & Company (SEA) Pte Ltd
• Family Leisure • General Insurance Association of Singapore, Grundfos Singapore Pte Ltd
• Haw Par Corporation Limited, Heatec JieTong Pte Ltd, Herbalife International Singapore Pte Ltd, Home Nursing Foundation, Hope Church Singapore, Huang & Co (S) Pte. Ltd., Hwa Chong Institution - High School, Hwa Chong Institution Boarding School, Hwa Chong Institution, Hydro Aluminium Asia Pte Ltd, Heeton Management Pte Ltd
• iMOS Holdings Pte Ltd, Indoguna Singapore Pte Ltd, InfoComm Development Authority of Singapore, Institute of Mental Health, International Enterprise Singapore, International Financial Services, IPS Marketing Resources (S) Pte Ltd, Institute of Chemical and Engineering Sciences
• Jurong Port Pte Ltd
• Kalzip Asia Pte Ltd, KB Associates Pte Ltd, Keppel Offshore & Marine Technology Centre, Koperatif UFUK Singapura Berhad, KPMG Asia Pacific
• Learning Edvantage Pte Ltd
• Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura, MCYS, Mercer (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Ministry of Home Affairs, Ministry of Information Communications and the Arts, Ministry of National Development, MSIG Holdings (Asia) Pte Ltd, Masjid Darul Makmur
• National Environment Agency, National Heritage Board, National Institute of Education, National Library Board, National Neuroscience Institute, National Parks Board, National University Hospital, National University Hospital The Cancer Institute, Ngee Ann Polytechnic, NTUC Club, NTUC Income, NTUC LearningHub, NUS Society
• OCBC Securities Private Limited, Office of Estate and Development NUS, Oakwood Premier OUE Singapore
• PepsiCo International Limited, Petroliam Nasional Berhad, Phillip Securities, Police Training Command, Phoenix Solar Pte Ltd, Propnex Property Management Consultants Pte Ltd
• Quann Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Republic Polytechnic, RiverLife Church, Rolls-Royce, RTRC Asia Pte Ltd, Rich Data Corporation Solutions Pte Ltd
• SC Global (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Schlegel Elektrokontakt Co (FE) Pte Ltd, Senoko Power Pte. Ltd., Sentosa Beach Resort, SG Private Banking, Shell Chemicals Seraya Pte Ltd, Singapore American School, Singapore Children's Society, Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce & Industry (SCCCI), Singapore Computer Systems Ltd, Singapore Corporation of Rehabilitative Enterprises, Singapore Eye Research Institute, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore Management Univeristy, Singapore Medical Council, Singapore Police Force Manpower Dept, Singapore Prison Service, Singapore Technolologies Telemedia, Singapore Telecommunications Limited, Singapore Workforce Development Agency, SingHealth, Sony Ericsson Mobile Comms Intl' AB, ST Electronics (Info-Software Systems) Pte Ltd, STT Communications Ltd, SunGard, Systems Singapore Pte Ltd, Swiss School Association, Singapore Polytechnic, Safran Electronics & Defense Services Asia Pte Ltd, Samwoh Corporation Pte Ltd, Singapore Discovery Centre, Singapore Technologies Electronics Limited
• Tanglin Trust School, Teambuild Construction Pte Ltd, Tenet Insurance Company Ltd, The Furniture Mall, The Gallery Hotel, The Polyolefin Co (S) Pte Ltd, The Tanglin Club, Traffic Police Department, Tri-Net Logistics (Asia) Pte Ltd, T-Systems Singapore, TÜV SÜD PSB, The Diocese of Singapore, Thye Hua Kwan Moral Charities, Telekomunikasi Indonesia International Pte Ltd
• Unimatec Singapore Pte. Ltd., UOB Life Assurance, Urban Redevelopment Authority, UWCSEA
• VITAL. Org.
• Walton International Group (S) Pte Ltd, Watkins Syndicate Singapore Pte Ltd, Wilhelmsen Premier Marine Fuels Pte. Ltd, Wesley Methodist Church
• Yayasan Mendaki, Yinson Production Pte Ltd
• Zimmer Pte Ltd