This workshop provides essential financial skills to enhance managerial effectiveness in using, analysing, interpreting, communicating and developing financial information.
As companies evolve and become more complex, it is becoming increasingly important for managers, executives and professionals to grasp certain essential financial concepts and be able to read, understand and interpret financial statements. Managers are also required from time to time to communicate financial data and projections in clear, concise and meaningful way to senior management and other staff in the Company. Having the skill-set to do these helps tremendously in engaging effectively with senior and other management.
This one-day workshop seeks to demystify the accounting process, know the jargons used and understand key accounting concepts, principles and philosophies. It provides essential financial skills to enhance managerial effectiveness in using, analysing, interpreting, communicating and developing financial information.
• To understand the purpose and role of accounting and how it fits into the overall operations of the Company.
• To understand key accounting concepts, jargons, principles, philosophies and practices.
• To learn how to read, interpret and develop key financial statements
- Balance Sheet
- Profit & Loss Statement
- Cash Flow Statement
• To acquire skills to allow one to probe deeper into the numbers to better grasp and manage the operating performance of the Company.
1. Purpose of Accounting Function
- Role of Accounting in Companies & its Interaction with Business
2. Accounting Framework & Principles
- Rules, Concepts & Philosophies
- Accounting Standards
3. Accrual Concept
- Cash versus accrual accounting
- When to recognize revenues & when to recognize expenses
- Why accrual accounting?
4. Balance Sheet
- Knowing What the Company Owns & what it Owes
- Assets, Liabilities & Shareholders’ Equity
- Limitations of the Balance Sheet
5. Profit & Loss Statement
- Measuring Financial Performance
- Limitations of Profit & Loss Statement
6. Cash Flow Statement
- Importance of Cash – “Cash is King”
- Operating, Investing & Financing Activities & their impact on cash
7. Understanding & Interpreting Financial Ratios
- Making Sense of Financial Data
- Activity, Profitability, Liquidity, Debt & Other Ratios
- Trends & Benchmarking
- Use of Budgeting for Planning, Co-ordination & Control
- Incremental Budgeting
- Zero Based Budgeting
9. Variance Analysis
- Identifying & Reviewing Variances
- Accountability for Variances
Who should attend
- Managers and executives who want to enhance their understanding of financial statements and use financial data to guide and manage their operations.
- Personnel in the Accounting Function.
Lee Khuay Chye has more than 20 years’ work experience in the areas of Accounting and Finance and has held senior leadership positions in a multi-national company.
Besides working in Singapore, Khuay Chye also has had overseas experiences in Hong Kong, leading the Accounting Department of an oil major, and in Thailand, where he led and managed credit for all the affiliates of the oil major in the Asia-Pacific Region.
Besides Accounting, Treasury and Finance, he also has good work experiences in Sales & Marketing, Corporate Planning, New Business Development, Supply &Trading and Human Resource. Having undertaken many varied assignments, Khuay Chye has developed a good appreciation of the diverse and sometimes conflicting needs, challenges and operations of the various functions.
Khuay Chye holds an Honours Degree in Business Administration from the National University of Singapore.
• 24 October 2019 (1st Run)
• S$ 450 per participant
• S$ 400 per participant for 2 participants from the same organisation
• S$ 350 per participant for 3 or more participants from the same organisation
• 9 am - 5 pm
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the workshop.
Please use this form to register for our HRM SKILLS Workshops.
* Please note that the participant’s particulars will be shared with SSG (SkillsFuture Singapore) for the post-training TRAQOM (Training Quality and Outcome Measurement) survey.
STILL NOT SURE? CALL US
(65) 6337-7516 or 6338-8487, 9 am to 5 pm, Mondays to Fridays
You can register online for any of HRM SKILLS Workshops using the Registration Form or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The information we require for email registration is as follows:
- Course Title & Date
- Participant's Full Name, NRIC/FIN, Email Address, Mobile Number
- Organisation, Company Name or Self-Sponsored
- Contact Person (If different from Participant)
- Contact Number