Traditionally, ERM has been used by the company to safeguard assets, reduce losses. The trend now is to integrate strategic risk management into company’s strategy development & execution process, such integration will elevate the value of ERM, as it allows a company to take bigger calculated risks & make bigger investments than they otherwise would have been.
Risk has always been associated with Governance, Compliance (in short, GRC), setting aside regulatory requirements for all public listed companies to practice and enforce ERM in their organization, it has been shown that companies that understand and manage ERM survive better and longer than those who do not.
Moving from managing Enterprise risks, the frameworks, principles, techniques & tools learnt in ERM can be easily applied in our personal life, except for differences in emphasis.
At the end of the course, participants will learn how to put ERM principles into practice. From an enterprise perspective, it is not just focusing on the downside of the risk, but weighing the probable rewards Vs cost or penalties as a business is to create and keep customers. From a personal perspective, by understanding and implementing a strategy to address them, one can expect to live a better and more successful life.
(Face-to-face training with safe distancing and precautionary measures undertaken at our hotel venues which are certified SG Clean. We will continue to adopt a small class size for all our courses)
• Understand different types of enterprise risks.
• Learn the principles, frameworks of ERM.
• Learn the tools & technique of assessing, managing and monitoring risks.
• Understand how strategic risk management adds value to the business.
• Learn who are the owners of ERM.
• Learn Scenario Planning, and how to use it as an additional tool to manage risk.
• Understand clearer & better between risk and other related important subjects such as Risk and Uncertainty, Risk and Decision making, Risk and Opportunity, Risk and Rewards.
• Understand types of personal risks to be faced in today’s VUCA world (Volatility, Uncertainty, Complexity, Ambiguity) and how to manage them.
I. What are the concepts, principles & framework of ERM; from ad-hoc risk to targeted risk to integrated risk framework.
II. Members of ERM, their respective roles and accountability:
- Board members
- Chief Executive
- Functional Department Head
- CRO (Chief Risk Officer, if applicable, else CFO, Chief Financial Officer)
III. What is strategic risk management & how to incorporate ERM into the strategic planning process?
IV. Case study of how to build ERM from scratch.
V. How to manage your risk management effectiveness-Key Risk Indicators, just like using Key Performance Indicators to monitor progress in meeting company objectives.
VI. What is scenario planning, How to use scenario planning as an effective tool to manage risk
VII. Group exercise/discussion to identify and address major risks faced by manufacturing firms, particularly the SMEs
VIII. What are the types of risks to be faced by individuals in today’s VUCA world ( Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, Ambiguous), and how to address?
Seow Sin Leng has 40 years of working experience in small & medium size manufacturing firms locally & regionally. His roles involved mainly in finance, human resources, due diligence for M&A, management. The industries cover shipbuilding & repairing, paper products, printed circuits boards assembly (PCBA), equipment build, monitor, liquid crystal displays (LCD) and printed circuit board (PCB). As CFO and senior management, he was involved in the IPO (Initial Public Offer) of a company for listing in the Singapore Stock Exchange.
Included in the 40 years was a 5-year overseas experience in China (Shenzhen, Suzhou, Changshu), Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Thailand as regional finance manager.
Towards the latter part of his career, Sin Leng worked as a part-time management consultant to a 3-party joint venture manufacturing company in Shanghai. His role involved reviewing monthly financials to highlight & suggest areas for improvement; working with the local management team to improve performance through enhancing existing capabilities and building new capabilities.
As head of a human resource department in a company he has worked before, Sin Leng has conducted in-house training for employees which cover topics such as performance management, finance for non-financial personnel, enterprise risk management, scenario planning, etc.
Sin Leng holds a Bachelor of Accountancy degree from then the University of Singapore, pursued and completed Executive MBA program from NUS, and attended ‘Future China Advanced Leadership Programme’ jointly organized by NTU business school and Business China. In addition, He also holds a Professional Diploma in Training & Development.
• 11 January 2022 (3rd Run)
Duration / Venue
• 9 am - 5 pm
• Hotel seminar room
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the workshop.
• S$ 450 per participant
• S$ 400 per participant for 2 or more participants from the same organisation
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Lunch will be provided
Please use this form to register for our HRM SKILLS Workshops.
* Please note that the participant’s particulars will be shared with SSG (SkillsFuture Singapore) for the post-training TRAQOM (Training Quality and Outcome Measurement) survey.
STILL NOT SURE? CALL US
(65) 6337-7516 or 6338-8487, 9 am to 5 pm, Mondays to Fridays
You can register online for any of HRM SKILLS Workshops using the Registration Form or send an email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
The information we require for email registration is as follows:
- Course Title & Date
- Participant's Full Name, NRIC/FIN, Email Address, Mobile Number
- Organisation, Company Name or Self-Sponsored
- Contact Person (If different from Participant)
- Contact Number
Past Participants' Comments
Past Participant Organisations
• Bank of Communications Co., Ltd
• Dolphin Engineering Pte Ltd
• Idemitsu Lube Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd
• Singapore Centre for Chinese Language, Singapore (Cambodia) International Academy Co., Ltd